The Most Effective Character Education Process in the Country Just Became Easier to Teach
Check Out the Full 8 to Great Curriculum for Grades 3 – 12!
If you’re an administrator looking for a program that is as flexible and easy to use as it is impactful on students’ lives, the 8 to Great success curriculum is your best news yet! Across the country, 8 to Great has shown:
- 60-90% decrease in students’ failing grades
- 70-80% decrease in office referrals and fights
- 50-80% decrease in absenteeism on 8 to Great class days
- 85-100% student buy-in and recommendation
Review the full 8 to Great process components below. You may use it as a full course, an advisory component, a methodology in a required course, or as a faculty inservice.
The 8 Fly-Ways for the superhero in you.
Level 1 – IRON: Introduction to Basics (60 activities)
- Student Title/Slogan: “Imaginate”
- Film: Pursuit of Happyness
- Focus: Introduction of 8 to Great vocabulary. Deals with basic communication skills, decision-making formula, bullying prevention, goals vs. dreams, gratitude ritual
- Sample Activities: Potato-Straw, Run to Not From, Risk-It Basket, Challenge Chair, Forgiveness Letters, Ending the X-Y-Z Game, Creation of Dream/Vision Cards.
Level 2 – STEEL: Self-Awareness (60 activities)
- Student Title/Slogan: “Stand Strong”
- Film: Rudy
- Focus: Deeper understanding of the 8 High-Ways for daily personal use: Risk-Taking Profile, Responsibility Check-In, Healing rage and depression, Forgiveness Assessment
- Sample Activities: 4 Steps for Asking for What You Want, Feelings Power Ladder, Who Do You Think You Are, Think Out of the Box, Creation of Vision Calendars/Boards
Level 3 – BRONZE: Building Social Skills (60 activities)
- Student Title/Slogan: “Bring It On”
- Film: Freedom Writers
- Focus: Application to social skills, preparing them for service in the school and community. Interviewing Skills, Should to Could, Creation of Vision Videos
- Sample Activities: Sensational Stories, The Un-Cover Up, Assertiveness Survey, The 4 Communication Styles, The 6 Key Phrases, Apologies and Amends, Gratitude Booklets, Trustleans, Mirror Mirror, How to Disagree without Disconnecting, Listening to Feelings without Fixing, My Emotional Bank Account